Thursday, May 17, 2012

When is a SmartPhone the Right Financial Decision?

Incase app for iPhone
I last purchased a typical cell phone back in October 2008 with a 2 year contract when we returned from China. My old cell phone broke while we were on assignment in China and I needed something once we were back on the ground in US.
I have been eligible for an upgrade for quiet some time, but have resisted getting a new phone that required a data plan. Like many, my head danced with the idea of being able to get so much more done while on the road and staying connected. I knew when I bit the bullet to get a basic cell phone years ago that I would never go back to going without one and I know if I upgraded to a smartphone with internet/data access I will never go back. Upgrading to a smartphone is a clear lifestyle upgrade decision that will continue to likely go on for the rest of our working life and not something I want to make without careful planning. At roughly $30/mo or $360/yr for decent data plan - that kind of subscription expense adds up over the course of the next twenty years (about $7.2k).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.